Pares draws similarities to braised beef and is best paired with garlic rice and hot soup on the side.
0.5 kilo Beef Brisket
1 tablespoon Oil
3 cloves Garlic chopped
1 thumb-sized Ginger chopped
0.25 cup Soy Sauce
0.25 tablespoon Brown Sugar
2 pieces Star Anise
0 Salt and Pepper
1 small quartered Onion
4 cloves chopped Garlic
How to Cook
1. Boil beef brisket in water with quartered onion, salt, peppercorn, and bay leaves for 2-2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat and reserve beef broth.
2. Cut meat into bite-sized pieces
3. Heat pan with oil. Add onions, garlic, and ginger. Cook until onions becomes translucent and ginger is fragrant.
4. Add beef and cook for 3-5 minutes or until lightly brown.
5. Pour 1 cup beef broth, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves.
6. Add star anise and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until beef becomes tender.
7. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl into a slurry.
8. Take the meat out. Add slurry and continue to simmer the soup until it thickens. Put the meat back before serving.
9. Pour water and add salt, and then boil for 20-30 minutes or until the grains soften and becomes 3 times its original size.
10. Serve hot with a side of soy sauce and some chopped chives.