Hainanese Chicken poaches the chicken in onion leek, garlic, and ginger.
1 whole Chicken
2 cup Onion Leek cut into 1 inch length
5 cloves sliced Garlic
4 inches sliced Ginger
How to Cook
1. Clean chicken by rubbing salt in its skin to loosen dirt. Wash and dry it with paper towel.
2. Rub salt all over the chicken, including the cavity. Stuff sliced garlic, ginger and onion leek in the cavity.
3. Put the chicken in a large pot, making sure that the chicken can submerge with 1 inch allowance. Pour water 1 inch above the chicken. Cover the pot and boil for 30 minutes.
4. While the chicken cooks, prepare the ice bath. Place ice and water on a bowl big enough to fit the chicken.
5. Turn off heat when the chicken is cooked, remove the chicken carefully and submerge in ice bath. This keeps the chicken from cooking further and to preserve the firm texture.